Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Packing and Sorting Books


I awoke to the dulcet tones of a weedwhacker. It was 8 am. Promptly at 9, the racket ceased.  I have sympathy and understanding for the person who wanted to get chores done while the day was cool.  The weedwhacker alarm clock has a future, I think. No matter how much trouble you've had getting to sleep, you will not sleep through the weedwhacker.

I'm making progress with book sorting. Some of the Keep boxes, organized by alphabetically by the first letter of the author's last name ( No need to get too finicky) filled quickly. M is overflowing. I thought about having M1 and M2, but it seems somehow related to British crime fictions and I may find this confusing in the future.

Bending over and sorting books is a stop and start occupation for a person with sinus problems living in the Miami Valley of Ohio. When dizzy, stop and do something else.  When you fall on your face, roll over and read.

The boxed books to keep stay in the dining room. The ones to donate are in the living room. Not trusting this system, I've also written Keep and Donate on the appropriate boxes. I think that is clear enough, but helpers have confused things in the past, and so have I. An entire box of Rae Foley mysteries went to the library by mistake. I hope they enjoyed them, because I still miss them 15 years later.

Sorting books for more than an hour at a time makes me indiscriminate. Some books that landed in the Keep boxes are just competently written, not particularly wonderful or fraught with nostalgic meaning for me. Some authors get inveigled into writing series and then get tired of the characters. Others start new series at the drop of a hat. It doesn't matter that much to me. If an author writes well, I'll keep buying and reading. If the author hates the character and writes kiss offs, I stop buying. There are some very well known authors I would not buy on a bet. They'll never miss me, either. Such is life.