Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Off the Beam


Life is a balancing act and I get the feeling that this week, I've fallen off the beam. I can occasionally use processed food if I add enough fresh produce to it. I thought Sloppy Joe sauce was safe. Sort of like tomato sauce. Just add ground meat and veggies. We all thought it tasted great. And the three of us all had reactions. Mr. Supersweet became cranky and argumentative. I noticed that I was dizzy when I bent over. Then muscles began to ache, the top of my head erupted into a fiery headache and I began to see large copper blobs in the air. I sat down. Ms. Supersweet brought her husband a drink, bent to put it down, and nearly fell over. Wonder what's in that stuff. I'm not digging the can out of the recycle bin to find out.

Not a lot of sewing has gone on, unless you count a Barbie-sized pollera, the woman's national dress of Panama. It is not true to life. I just slammed preruffled eyelet together for the top, and gathered the skirt very full. This is my friend Alicia dancing in a pollera in 1999.
 

There's mending, though. I shortened a man's t-shirt to a length more suitable for a shortie (me), and altered a pair of linen pants. The bits I cut from the bottoms I added to the back waist length because the pants had been designed for flat bottomed women, of which I am not one.  Perhaps I'll even cut out and make shorts. I did manage to get a knit shirt mostly sewn together before deciding once again that the color is putrid on me. Little blue paisley outlines dot a cream colored knit, and on me it has a nauseating greenish cast. I'll finish it and wear it because I lack the will to shop for tshirts.


I've had a bit of luck at Goodwill. Although I am supposedly thinning my pattern collection, I enjoy looking through what other people are getting rid of, and found two patterns for simple and easy to wear shorts and shirts for Ms.  Supersweet. In my fabric stash, I found a jade green linen for shorts and a retro 70's floral print in jade and topaz on white. Ms. Supersweet is inspired. Without saying a word, I've shown her a wonderful trick: use a simple pattern and the best fabric you can afford. The outfit will be stylish and look expensive.