Sunday, February 27, 2011

One Piece at a Time

Sheila Brennan's One- Piece Wearables came out in 2008, but I didn't hear of it until after it came out in paperback last August.  I had even seen reviews, here and  at Craftside . My initial reaction was ho-hum, more sleeveless stuff for teen sylphs. Once I had the book in my hands, some of the patterns were so clever I literally could not walk away.
To be sure, there are a good many sleeveless things that only the under 30-set should wear, but a blouse/jacket and a wrap dress (inexplicably called a robe) are cleverly shaped and flattering to many figures. I bought it in an actual physical book store for full price and was happy to have it. Yes, I know that using a single pattern piece wastes fabric, but it saves time and eliminates tedium, not to mention preventing backache! I have enough fabric in my stash that I can afford a bit of waste. Besides, much of my waste gets used in smaller things. And there is absolutely no reason I cannot piece fabric together.
I'm excited. I'm thrilled.  Maybe I'm even motivated. We'll see. I'm already planning to add sleeves to one top, and facings to another.